Pages

Sunday, 14 August 2011

My amazing flat in... DOHA

Our little family will soon be moving to Doha (Qatar)... and so is MyAmazingFlat, with a new challenge.

We made the decision a couple of weeks ago and we have been so busy planning the move that I haven't had time to update the blog. Of course, this is wonderful news for us but I am a little sad to postpone the renovation of our London flat to next year, and maybe even to 2013. I was really getting into planning it and also writing this blog. On the plus side, we will be less pressured by time. This also means being more creative will be possible.



Qatar has got quite an interesting location in the world. Living in the Middle East will bring me much closer to India and South East Asia, Central Europe and East Africa, and I will still be 6 hours away from western Europe. I'm already thinking about all the new materials, furniture and savoir-faire I will soon discover...

The blog is also moving to Doha with a set of new objectives in the wild world of interior design (forget about building renovation as we will be moving in a brand new place that won't need any renovation being done to it).

Decorating a flat in Qatar. Trust me, this won't be a piece of cake. Qatar is meant to be one of the richest countries in the world and it has drawn a lot of interest since it's been selected to host the 2022 football world cup but it is fairly new. Many people say it has developed a lot in the last ten years but before the first sky-scrapers started popping out from the ground, there wasn't anything apart from a pyramid-shaped hotel in the middle of the desert. I have already lived in Doha and found it very challenging to make myself feel at home. The expat community usually lives in villas in compounds or rent a flat in one of the towers. Flats or houses, they are all alike - very modern, air-conditioned, soul-less homes. In terms of deco-shopping, I might be wrong but I doubt we will be able to find original furniture, paintings, cutlery etc.

Qatar is a new country and even Doha's souq isn't that inspiring so I am already planning to bring a lot of our belongings from France and England. I have also made it my personal goal to work with local craftsmen and bring some memories back from our stay in the Middle East.

I will probably still be blogging on our London flat, but in a different manner as it will be rented out. So, will you follow me to Qatar?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.